Mold infestation is a nightmare for any homeowner. Not only is the smell intolerable, but it’s also a health hazard for anyone living in a mold-infested space. It has a lot of adverse effects, from the headaches, irritated eyes, a runny nose and coughing to a life-threatening neurological problem. It’s needless to say that this issue has to be handled as soon as possible and in a very effective manner,else it can really harm you and your family.
What you need to know though is that a mold infestation is often a sign of a bigger issue. It could anything from a moisture problem to a water leak. Whatever the cause is, you have to quickly decide how to handle it. You can either seek a professional mold removal company or do it yourself.
Doing It Yourself
A DIY is only effective and recommended if the you are sure that the extend of mold damage is mild, and will not be a threat to your health. That means that you have to check which parts of your home is affected, and in doing that, you have to wear protective gear and clothes that you’re okay throwing away after.
Once you’ve located that mold, prepare a 1 part bleach, 8 parts water solution which you will use to scrub any surface covered with mold. Not all areas will visibly show signs of mold infestation, so you’ll have assess areas close to these surfaces by following the musty scent or checking how mushy the wall is.
As you’re removing the mold, you also have to worry about the spores. Make sure that your air conditioner and furnace are turned off, and your doors and ducts are sealed off. You can also spray all mold infested surfaces with water while it’s awaiting scrubbing to stop the spores from further spreading.
It’s also important to get rid of carpets, throw pillows, blankets and any other fixtures or design elements in your home that’s in close contact with the areas you are sanitizing. It’s best to wrap them plastic or put them in a bag, seal them and throw them out.
If you think that the mold infestation has breached the structure of the home and has spread throughout it, it might be best to call in professional help. They can sort out the source of the mold infestation, stir you and your family away from the possible hazards of a DIY solution, and make sure that they are able to drive out the mold from every part of your home, even those which are hard to reach.